Sat, Mar 02|
Fee: Yes / Prize: £5,000 + Exhibition
The Boomer Art & Photo Prize
Theme: Open. After the resounding success of its inaugural edition, Boomer Gallery proudly invites creators from every visual arts discipline to participate in the second “Boomer Art Prize.” We are eagerly looking forward to discovering perspectives and innovative visions that artists from all...
Deadline / Fee / Prize:
Mar 02, 2024, 11:30 PM
Fee: Yes / Prize: £5,000 + Exhibition
After the resounding success of its inaugural edition, Boomer Gallery proudly invites creators from every visual arts discipline to participate in the second “Boomer Art Prize.” We are eagerly looking forward to discovering perspectives and innovative visions that artists from all over the world bring to this grand stage.
Boomer Gallery continues its commitment to recognizing, promoting, and supporting excellence in the expansive domain of art, inviting both local and international artists to showcase their craft.
Participation in the Boomer Art Prize offers artists more than just the potential of winning substantial cash prizes and exhibition opportunities. It provides invaluable exposure, with all entries being viewed by a jury of highly respected figures in the art world.
AWARDS & PRIZES
Successful applicants will receive £10,000 in cash awards + exhibition opportunities in our iconic gallery space from Tower Bridge, London.
- 1st place – £5,000 + inclusion in three of our group shows. Additionally, the winner will be invited to London to be interviewed by the legendary Anthony Fawcett, former curator to John Lennon and Yoko Ono. This exclusive interview will be featured in the esteemed “Anthony Fawcett Archive,” joining the ranks of iconic artists like Francis Bacon, David Hockney, Jean Michel Basquiat, Andy Warhol, and many more from his 50-year illustrious career. The interview will be filmed in our London gallery space by an award-winning documentary filmmaker. Furthermore, all travel costs and accommodation expenses will be covered by us.
- 2nd place – £3,000 + inclusion in two of our group shows.
- 3rd place – £2,000 + inclusion in one of our group shows.
- Numbers 4th to 20th will also be included in one of the group shows.
- Every Artist is Valued: We deeply appreciate the effort and passion behind every submission. In recognition of this, each and every participant, regardless of the outcome, will be awarded a certificate of participation in “The Boomer Art Prize.” It’s our way of saying thank you for sharing your artistry with us.
A jury of experts composed of some of the top minds in contemporary art will debate, review, and score each application:
- Anthony Fawcett: Esteemed art critic and historian known for his extensive collaborations with globally-renowned artists. His illustrious career boasts of interactions with icons such as Jean Michel Basquiat, John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and Andy Warhol, and his guidance in the “Anthony Fawcett Archive” project with the Tate Gallery.
- Tabish Khan: An art critic specialising in London’s art scene, Tabish is the visual arts editor for Londonist. He regularly contributes to Culture Whisper and writes for FAD’s “What’s Wrong With Art?” series. Furthermore, his dedication to supporting artists is displayed in his trustee roles at ArtCan and City & Guilds London Art School.
- Jo McLaughlin, a London-based curator, art historian, and podcaster, currently serves as Senior Curator at Acrylicize, a global art and design studio. Her career, which began in regional auction houses, includes work at Pangolin London, curating shows like Breon O’Casey: The World Beyond. Jo, a University of Glasgow and Kingston University alumna, aims to democratize art through accessible, beautiful collections. She also hosts and produces the top-rated Jo’s Art History Podcast.
- Constantin Cosmin: An internationally acclaimed visual artist and co-founder of Boomer Gallery. As an editor at Boomer Magazine and a featured artist on Artsy, Constantin offers a unique perspective to the panel, drawing from his extensive firsthand experience in the art world.
What is the selection process?
1. All submissions will be reviewed individually, and from the total number of submissions, the jury will preselect 50 artists who will also be shortlisted on our website.
2. After the preselection process, the jury will reconvene to select the 20 winners.
- Artists of any country, age, and background can apply.
- Each artist who applies for this competition will receive a certificate of participation via email.
- Previous applicants are welcome to apply again.
- You can submit works that have been previously exhibited or published.
- There are no thematic limitations.
- 2D works should not exceed 230×230 cm.
- 3D works (sculptures, installations) should not be bigger than 230 cm high and 150 cm wide on any side.
- You can apply with a minimum of 3 works and a maximum of 7.
- Cash awards will be paid to the winners within 48 hours after validating the votes.
- All 20 winners will be contacted individually regarding, exhibition dates, delivery and all the other details.
- The interview with Anthony is planned for May 2024, but the exact dates will be mutually agreed upon between the gallery and the winner of the 1st place.
- The group show is scheduled for April 2024. As mentioned previously, all winners will be contacted individually at least three weeks in advance.
- Should any of the winners wish to attend the show in person but face visa restrictions, we will provide a letter of recommendation. This letter will be stamped and signed by both the gallery and the four esteemed judges of this grand competition.
- Please note: Individual notifications for competition results will not be sent. Visit our website on March 18th for the announcement of results.
For a nominal fee of only £35, you can submit three of your works to the Boomer Art Prize. We understand the value of your artistic contribution, and we want to ensure that this opportunity is accessible to all passionate artists. Each additional work beyond the initial three carries a minimal cost of just £10. Rest assured that every penny from the submission fee goes towards supporting the administrative costs that make this grand event possible.
- The open call will run from November the 28th, 2023, until March the 2nd, 2024.
- The 50 preselected artists will be listed on our website on March 10th, 2024.
- On March 14th, 2024, the jury will reconvene and select the 20 winners of the competition.
- The final results will be available on our website on March 18th, 2024.
Eligible media, but not limited to: paintings, sculptures, photography, installations, prints, textiles, illustrations, digital art, poems, video art, AI-assisted art, etc.