Sun, May 08|
Fee: Free / Prize: 1,500 €
Center for Iberian Studies - Transversalidades
Theme: Transversalidades. Based on these references and on the importance of image in contemporary societies, the project Transversalities: Photographs without Frontiers uses photography as a means of promoting the inclusion of territories.
Deadline / Fee / Prize:
May 08, 2022, 9:59 PM
Fee: Free / Prize: 1,500 €
The Center for Iberian Studies - Centro de Estudos Ibéricos (CEI)- remains committed to strengthening the cultural and scientific axis organized by Coimbra, Guarda and Salamanca and, through an active involvement in territorial cooperation, committed to low density territories, particularly the most peripheral and border ones. Based on these references and on the importance of image in contemporary societies, the project Transversalities: Photographs without Frontiers uses photography as a means of promoting the inclusion of territories and breaking with processes of exclusion to which vast areas of the planet are subjected by the media.
Pursuing objectives that coincide with those that guide CEI's work, this Photography without Borders contest contributes to overcoming the artificial borders that are imposed between communities, peoples and cultures. The call for submissions that portray spaces beyond and beyond borders, scattered across the various continents, aims, by documenting the diversity of Territories, Societies and Cultures, to read and interpret the multiplicity of natural, economic, social and cultural landscapes that are scattered across the vast geographies of the planet. In a project that uses image as a means to promote territorial cooperation, the following issues are privileged:
- taking advantage of the aesthetic, documentary and pedagogical value of the image to promote the inclusion of less visible territories, inventory resources, enhance local landscapes, cultures and heritage;
- to promote cooperation between people, institutions and territories, from here and from abroad, to encourage the exchange of experiences and knowledge between spaces united by the common Iberian matrix, spread across different countries and several continents;
- to form new audiences and use new communication technologies as a privileged means of communication, appealing to the participation of young university students and, in this way, to widen the international network of researchers that is being organised from the CEI.
The pictures collected under this contest should portray the diversity of territories, societies and cultures of different continents in order to allow crossed looks on the changes which are taking place in different parts of the world, show different styles of social organization and space, capture signs of continuity and change, archaisms and innovations that manifest themselves in the most populous cities or rural areas, located in the most remote and distant and areas, which are facing depopulation. The interpretation of the natural, economic, social and cultural landscapes validated in photos will make them an important component of territorial cooperation, as they are valuable resources of promoting the inclusion of remote and less visible regions.
Photos must allude to one of the following subjects:
- Landscapes, biodiversity and natural heritage (Natural resources and risks; use, management and planning of natural areas; diversity of contexts and intercourse between man and the environment, etc.).
- Rural areas, agriculture and settlement (Goods and agricultural products, organization of rural areas; places and rural architecture, mobility, etc.).
- The city and the urbanization process (City, architecture, regeneration and urbanization processes; landscapes, urban environments and experiences, etc.).
- Culture and society: cultural diversity and social inclusion (Constructed legacy and cultural heritage, ways of life and social conditions; fight against poverty and social exclusion, etc.)
- Registration is free and universal.
- Each candidate may only submit one portfolio with six (6) photos about a single subject of the contest
- Applications will be submitted electronically through the www.cei.pt website and contestants must submit:the application form properly filled with the following fields: personal information about the author; description for each photo; file with portfolio of six (6) photos. The file name must be identified by the identification the number of each contestant: identity card number, passport or other. (Ex: 122258045.zip). Send to the e-mail email@example.com declaration accepting the conditions of the contest;
- Each contestant will be assigned a code that will identify the candidate before the jury.
- The applicant must guarantee that pictures:are originals don’t include any identifcation element of its author have not yet been previously rewarded
- Formats and dimensions of the photos:After filling out the application form, please send the photos in digital format, JPG type [file high quality compression (9)], for the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to upload files larger than 20MB, send through the www.wetransfer.com site.that the pictures are originals Contestants must only send a single file - type zip or rar- which should contain all the contest photos. Photos must have a screen resolution of 72 dpi and size (W * or H) from 2000 to 2500 pixels (horizontal* or vertical, according to the angle of the photo); The authors of the awarded photos may posteriorly be contacted in order to provide the files of the photos with a higher resolution in order to make a public exhibit of their work, which is a necessary condition to receive the award (Point 9, number 2 of this regulation)
- The acceptance of the competition photos begins on February 21, 2022 and ends at 24 pm on may 08, 2022 (Lisbon time).
- The Jury’s decision will be announced on the official website of CEI (www.cei.pt) until 31st October 2022.
- The Jury will be selected by the Executive Committee of CEI and will be presided by one of its members and shall consist of a panel of photographers, researchers or other individualities considered relevant for the evaluation process.
- The evaluation of the material submitted to the competition will be conducted by the jury according to: loyalty to the proposed topics, creativity and photographic quality.
- The winners’ selection will be an absolute, final and irreversible decision of the Jury.
- Of all participants and photos submitted to the competition will be selected and awarded the following: The Overall Winner (1) for the best and most complete submitted portfolio will receive:A prize money of 1500 Euros. A professional monitor model EIZO ColorEdge CS2740 27" with 4K resolution, hardware calibration, including visor and 5 years warranty (according to the conditions stated on https://eizo.es/garantias-eizo/) especially designed for photography. This monitor is worth approximately €1,699.00 (including 21% VAT). The Winner of each theme (4) for the best and most complete portfolio will receive 750 Euros. The Jury will also award up to 12 portfolios, being each one awarded with 150 Euros.
- The financial support will be delivered until de 31st of December 2022. If it is not possible to contact the winner, the support will only be able to be claimed until the 31st of January 2023.